Standing water problems in a crawlspace can have many sources, but the most common two are surface water (roof water & improper grading) and ground water (water table). Both issues should be addressed during construction of the home, but rarely are.
Surface water drains into the loose backfill around the home and enters the crawlspace through the block, mortar joints, and footer. Most surface water, but not all can be fixed by properly grading the slope of the earth away from the home, upgrading the gutters, and extending the downspouts at least 15′ away from the home.
Ground Water (water table) will fluctuate up and down during periods of heavy rains. It will vary according to the area you live. During the spring and fall rainy season, the water table will rise causing hydrostatic pressure on your foundation. Groundwater can be remedied with our DrainRite internal perimeter drainage system and GoldSump Pump System.
A wet crawl space is a common problem in the Midwest, and The Crawlspace Company can solve water problems better than anyone.
How can you tell if you have a crawlspace water problem? Here are some clues to the possible wet crawl space beneath your home:
- You may have electrical surges because water is in contact with electrical wires in the crawl space.
- Condensation on windows or doors from water “wicking” up your foundation walls
- An increase in air-conditioning costs may reflect moisture in the duct work, which creates drag on the air, forcing your AC to work harder.
- A musty or moldy odor in your home or crawl space.
- Your carpet may feel damp.
- Sagging or Unlevel Floors due to wood rot or termite damage
- An increased level of humidity in the air of the home
- Drywall cracks and sticking doors from the softening of the wood structure.
The Crawlspace Company can solve these and other wet crawl space problems better than anyone. All our systems capture ground water intrusion through the foundation. We use our DrainRite drainage system to remove and eliminate water. Give us a call today to Schedule your Free Estimate.